Why We Formed
"The world needs every creative voice and hand it can get." -- Reuel L. Howe
Global Creativity Network has been prompted by two contrasting global prospects, both of which are equally possible and equally likely:
One prospect is the nascent “Global Renaissance” that is struggling to be born, and that requires everybody’s creative participation to thrive and flourish into the infinite future.
The other prospect is an impending “Dark Ages,” the signs of which are increasingly visible.
More specific and related reasons for the Global Creativity Network initiative are:
- Vast reservoirs of unrecognized, undervalued, underdeveloped, and underexploited human potentialities that need to be mobilized and beneficially engaged. Human Creativity – the key to the future of mankind, the ultimate source of continued economic and social vitality, that needs to be deliberately nurtured, positively engaged, and continuously enhanced.
- The imperative of a civilization that is built on the creative intelligence and unique contributions of all the Earth’s estimated seven billion inhabitants.
- Massive awakening of hundreds of millions of people around the world to their inherent creativeness as humans and, concomitantly, increasingly strident clamor for self-actualization and more fulfilling patterns of existence.
- Deep level transformations that are occurring in practically every facet of modern life, and that need to be creatively shaped into “a Renaissance rather than a Dark Ages.”
- Life-threatening social, economic, and ecological crises that are far too many and too complex to be left to small groups of intellectuals and national leaders, however gifted and talented.
- The increasingly plausible conclusion that many of the social and psychological problems that humanity is facing (including widespread sense of personal futility, meaninglessness, hatred, prejudice, violence, saboutage, criminality, etc.) are very largely the result of the creativity-depriving environments in which most people live and work.
Our goal is a global civilization that is built on the creative contributions of all people. Our strategy, therefore, is to facilitate mass creativity and participation in civilization building – to provide people-friendly tools and resources for mobilizing and productively engaging the creative intelligence of the general population.